Inspired by the community of sisters who educated her at Holy Cross School in Rumson, New Jersey, and Red Bank Catholic High School in Red Bank, New Jersey, Sister Betty entered the Sisters of Mercy in Watchung, New Jersey, in 1952.
She began teaching first grade at St. Mary School in South Amboy, New Jersey, and earned her degree in elementary education at Georgian Court College (now University). Over the next 40 years, she taught primary and intermediate grades in parish schools in Bernardsville, Sayreville, South Plainfield, Bound Brook, Piscataway, Red Bank and Hazlet. In 1995, Sister Betty was invited to open St. Ann Parish Hansel and Gretel Preschool in Keansburg, New Jersey, where she remained for the next 14 years. In her later years, she served with two sisters whose ministry was spiritual direction, retreats and programs in Mays Landing, New Jersey.
Sister Betty relished community life. She experienced great joy engaging in all that life offered her and deeply loved the relationships that sustained her, especially those of her family and friends.