Welcome to the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) page!
After prayer and dialogue with the question…
“God of Mercy, Wisdom and Mystery, who do you desire us to be now for one another and for our suffering world in order to continue our transformation toward greater integrity of word and deed?”
…an answer was crafted from the Chapter body as a guiding mandate for the work of the Institute: Chapter 2017 Recommitment: Called to New Consciousness.
Specific to SOGI, the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy has been called to respond:
“We hear the cry of our suffering world. The impoverishment of peoples, the devastation of Earth, and oppressive social norms and systems call us in this moment to act…to become better educated and to participate in engaged dialogue on gender identity and sexual orientation.”
To become better educated and to participate and engage dialogue on gender identity and sexual orientation.
2017 Chapter Recommitment
Additionally, the Institute Chapter delegates “approved the request that the Institute Leadership Team (ILT) initiate member education and processes that address issues of gender identity and sexual orientation.”
In the Fall of 2017, the ILT established a workgroup, now affectionately known as SOGI, to address the Chapter Acts related to issues of gender identity and sexual orientation. The group is accountable to the ILT and is comprised of Sisters of Mercy and consultants as appropriate. We are charged to approach this initiative in the context of being women in the church and mission-focused.
Key Elements of our Work:
- Creation of Institute-wide process to engage sisters in education and engaged dialogue on gender identity and sexual orientation
- Assurance that processes are experienced based as well as theologically, psychologically and spiritually grounded
- Attention to elements of “safe spaces” for individuals and groups within Institute, especially sisters, associates, companions and Mercy Volunteer Corp alumnae who identify as LGBTQ+
- Provision of resources by which self-initiating groups can engage readings, movies and such for initial reflection and discussion
The SOGI Webpage is divided into three main sections:
- Mercy Education Events: links and materials from Institute/SOGI sponsored education events on sexuality, sexual orientation and gender identity
- Mercy Dialogue: blogs, articles and “safe space” to engage in dialogue around sexual orientation and gender identity
- General Resources: information to read and explore sexual orientation and gender identity
All questions, suggestions and feedback for the SOGI workgroup are welcome via SOGI@sistersofmercy.org!
Explore our resources, read our blogs and challenge your own thinking.
Resources beyond Mercy to become better educated and engage dialogue on gender identity and sexual orientation.
Learn MoreLearn More
Mercy Education Events
Engage in the Chapter call to respond for education and dialogue around sexual orientation and gender identity.
Blogs, articles and a safe space to engage in dialogue around sexual orientation and gender identity.