The Sisters of Mercy of the Americas commemorated the 5th anniversary of Pope Francis’ groundbreaking encyclical, Laudato Si, On Care for Our Common Home, by launching the Mercy Earth Challenge — a year-long challenge for the common good.
We introduced this amid constant reminders — including a global coronavirus pandemic and global climate crisis — of our interconnected world.
We invited everyone in our Mercy Family and beyond into a year-long series of personal, communal and systemic actions throughout six distinct seasons:
- Season 1: Earth Day – Laudato Si’ Anniversary
- Season 2: Summer 2020 – Water Sacred Gift
- Season 3: Season of Creation – Just Food
- Season 4: Advent 2020 – Sustainable Shopping
- Season 5: New Year’s 2021 – Plastics: Beyond Convenience
- Season 6: Lent 2021 – Mercy Meatless Mondays