Reports to: MFOH Executive Director
Department: Mercy Focus on Haiti
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Purpose: The Development Assistant supports and sustains the mission of MFOH and the work of the MFOH Development Committee to foster stronger and more productive partnerships between MFOH and our donors. The Development Assistant contributes to the efforts to match donor’s philanthropic aspirations with the financial and other needs as presented by the people of Haiti and our Haitian partners. The Development Assistant provides critical skills in development planning, office support, database management, research, donor relations and communication and correspondence with those associated with the work of the Development Committee. The MFOH Development Assistant will be appointed by the Mercy Ministry Corporation and reports operationally to the MFOH Executive Director and the MFOH Chair of the Development Committee.
MFOH MISSION: Passionate for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and witnessing to the legacy of Catherine McAuley, Mercy Focus on Haiti members are led to service and solidarity with persons who are materially poor, especially those living in Haiti.
Mercy Focus on Haiti collaborates with the people of Haiti to help meet their unmet needs and with other like-minded organizations to achieve shared goals that will benefit the people of Haiti.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to MFOH philanthropic development activities including but are not limited to impact/major, legacy, and recurring gift programs, direct mail, donor communication and donor stewardship, acknowledgment, foundation and grant writing, database administration, plus online and social media programs.
- Invites others to join in our ministry by providing financial support to advance the works of Mercy in and for the people of Haiti.
- Work with the Development and other MFOH Committees to create and achieve funding initiatives, for instance appeals, in support of our Mercy ministry in Haiti.
- Prepare donor information to be shared as needed with MFOH members as appropriate.
- Respond to requests for information from donors, volunteers and MFOH members in a professional and timely manner.
- Working at the direction of the Development Committee Chair, the responsibilities of the Development Assistant will include, but are not limited to the following: donor solicitation, stewardship and acknowledgement, including:
- Process all gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations and organizations received by MFOH in a timely and secure manner following the policies and procedures of MFOH Finance Committee and Mercy Ministry Office
- Generate gift receipts and personal donor acknowledgement within two business days (48 hrs.) of receipt
- Design queries and reports for retrieving data from database, analyze donor engagement, produce gift reports, and assist with regular correspondence
- Segment donor database lists for donor engagement, gift opportunities and specific appeals.
- Maintain donor confidentiality at all times in accordance with the ethical standards of the Association of Professional Fundraisers and the National Committee on Planned Giving.
- Serve as a first point of contact for MFOH development operations. Field donor inquiries, via phone, email, texting, face to face and at other times.
- Enhance and upgrade technological expertise and use within the MFOH Development Office, such as electronic giving, donor acknowledgement, and donor data analysis by using Little Green Light.
- In collaboration with the Development Committee, prepare the annual budget and goals for the Development Committee.
- File and maintain all appropriate documentation and information for the Development Committee.
- Coordinate the Development master planning calendar.
- Collect information from a variety of sources, research and compile information utilizing available and appropriate research tools as available. Update Development Handbook.
- Attend Development Committee meetings, trainings, and programs.
- Participate in Governing Council Meetings as requested.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Development Committee Chair.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should have the following education, competencies and experience:
BA degree and at least 5 years of work experience.
Knowledge of and experience in fundraising
Strong interpersonal skills and the capacity to successfully develop and manage relationships.
Ability to work independently with a proven track record of meeting deadlines and deliverables.
Committed to collaborative leadership
Ability to work remotely, able to prioritize and manage several projects at the same time and be detail-oriented.
Commitment to the mission of Mercy Focus on Haiti
Ability to supervise others in a work environment
Strong work ethic
Creative Thinking skills
Computer and technology savvy
Prior experience in nonprofit organization helpful. Must be comfortable in working for a religious organization. Knowledge of and appreciation for the role of Women religious in the Roman Catholic Church and in society. Sensitivity to the culture and decision-making processes of a faith-based community a plus.
Sensitivity to cultural heritage, practices and norms of the people of Haiti;
A commitment to an empowerment approach to service and solidarity
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, sit; speak; hear; use hands to handle objects. The employee may be required to occasionally bend, stoop, twist and/or lift and carry up to 20 lbs. The employee may be required to occasionally push or pull luggage and equipment up to 50 pounds, primarily associated with occasional business travel.
- The employee will be required to operate office equipment such as computers, telephones and fax machines and work with manual filing systems for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed remotely.
- Some overnight travel is required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working remotely.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of this position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. Reasonable accommodation will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.
I have reviewed and understand the essential functions of this job description and am able to perform each function with or without accommodation and in a safe manner and in accordance with established procedures. I further acknowledge that this job description is a general description of the duties of this position and my supervisor may require changes in responsibilities from time to time. I understand that my employment is at-will, and thereby understand that my employment may be terminated at-will either by the facility or myself, and that such termination can be made with or without notice.
Qualified candidates may send resume and cover letter to: MFOHadmin@sistersofmercy.org