This position is essential and does not have the option to telecommute.
Sustained and inspired by their relationship with God and one another, the mission of the Sisters of Mercy is to respond with vision and compassion to the needs of people who are poor, sick, and uneducated. This mission serves as a motivational force in the day-to-day activities of the employees of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and as we extend compassion and mercy to others, practice and encourage social justice, and strive to live mercifully.
Responsible for performing a variety of human resource, payroll and accounting support duties. Performs general office support functions and assists area personnel as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews the human resource database. Ensures that system records are accurately recorded and cross-checked.
- Enters new hire information in the human resource system database.
- Tracks and resolves problems and checks system operations as scheduled.
- Ensures that human resource files and records are maintained in accordance with legal requirements and Company policies and procedures.
- Completes monthly and year-end reports regarding terminations, transfers, and new hires.
- Processes employment verification forms and unemployment forms, garnishments on a timely basis
- Completes miscellaneous research, reports, and memos as requested.
- Processes and records payroll data as scheduled.
- Maintains payroll records in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Tracks and resolves payroll errors.
- Completes payroll adjustments, and corrections as necessary.
- Ensures that payroll functions are performed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Validates all year end closing procedures and reports are accurate.
- Reviews and validates timesheet hours for accuracy.
- Assist with password and logon resets.
- Processes and reviews new hire paperwork.
- Reviews and enters invoices ensuring proper charging to the general ledger accounts
- Performs other miscellaneous clerical functions and special projects as assigned.
Education, Competencies and Experience
- 2-year degree in business with at least 3-5 years of experience in Payroll/ Human Resources/Accounting
- Previous experience in a non-for-profit organization preferred.
- Working with multiple states, specifically California wage and hour law a plus.
- Working with UKG preferred and Financial Edge.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to adapt to changing environments with evolving systems and structures.
- Willingness to work as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills: ability to establish priorities.
- Strong communication skills including an ability to cultivate effective working relationships with a broad range of employees and sisters.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrates strong computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Intermediate or higher Excel is necessary.
- Knowledge of federal and state taxes for payroll purposes
- Must be willing to travel with overnight stays on occasion.
- Demonstrates personal integrity and commitment to ethical principles.
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the mission and values of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
Americans with Disability Specifications
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk, sit; speak; hear; use hands to handle objects. The employee may be required to occasionally bend, stoop, twist and/or lift and carry up to 50 lbs.,
- The employee will be required to operate office equipment such as computers, telephones and fax machines and work with manual filing systems.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedures, and manuals. Ability to speak effectively with other employees, members, and supervisors.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those that an employee must meet to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in a modern office environment.
- Some overnight travel is required.